Re: [MirageOS-devel] Logging (was: test, quality, tcpip)

On 12 May 2015, at 16:26, Daniel BÃnzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mardi, 12 mai 2015 Ã 16:56, Anil Madhavapeddy a Ãcrit :
>
>> - Build more complex backends over this basis. For instance, the
>> conventional "info/error/debug" one would be a layer that does the branches
>> appropriately for each type.
>
> If I understand this correctly, this means that there is one branch for
> errors, one for warnings etc. I have some doubts about this since messages
> occuring in a given level may be due to a message occuring in another level
> (you get a warning because there was an error). So it seems preferable to
> have the linear occurences of each level in the same branch. I would rather
> see branches being used for delineating components.

Agreed. I had in mind a branching structure that would include a branch per
component, followed by the debug levels.  Other listeners could then do
aggregation into different views, including operations such as time-based
rotation and aggregation across components.  For an Irmin backend, such
listeners can just be watchers (either offline or online, which is nice!).

This is fairly similar to what Thomas Gazagnaire built into the XenServer XAPI
components many moons ago, but now with the benefit of Irmin, Lwt/Async,
js_of_ocaml to act as a foundation.  Dave, Jon, is there interest in such a
simple basis library for eventual integration into XAPI as well, or logging a
solved problem there?