Re: [MirageOS-devel] Passing parameters into the Unikernel

On 17 June 2015 at 11:02, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway: with the recent (?)
>> change to conduit that means the port number is specified inside the
>> Unikernel rather than in the config.ml file, is there any particular
>> API to use for passing the port number (or any other parameter)
>> extracted from the environment into the Unikernel?
>
> I plan to integrate the remaining patches waiting in line for mirage in the
> coming weeks. One of them is about passing configuration-time values to
> compile-time functions[1]. This will help solving this problem.

Great, that seems like it will do what I need. (And will mean I can
perhaps simplify all the manual extraction of values from the
environment in the config.ml too.)

>> If not, then I'll hack something up using crunch / KV_RO for now
>> probably but a more principled solution seems like it might be
>> nice...?  (Add a `parameter` s-exp type or something?)
>
> Indeed, a crunch thing would work for now on, or use Magnus' bootvar[2] if
> you are targeting Xen only.

Primarily need this for --unix in fact -- want to be able to run site
locally on a non-privileged port when testing things, but run on port
80 for deployment.

I'll do the KV_RO hack if I get round to it -- for now, I'm just
sticking with running locally using sudo :)

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx