Re: [MirageOS-devel] Blog post on Irmin/CueKeeper

why does all the french make me want OCaml to be renamed
laissez-faire? :-)

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26 June 2015 at 13:29, Daniel BÃnzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le vendredi, 26 juin 2015 Ã 11:18, Thomas Leonard a Ãcrit :
>> let x, set_x = S.create 1
>> let () = ignore (S.map print_int x)
>> let () = Gc.full_major (); List.iter set_x [2; 2; 3]"
>>
>> Under the ref-counting scheme, this program would always print
>> nothing,
>
> Yes.
>
>> because the map signal's refcount is always zero, and it therefore never connects to the x signal.
>
> Yes though I wouldn't see it at "never connects" (at least from an implementation point of view). The `Smap print_int x` call will put the resulting signal into x's dependents (hence "connect" from my point of view), increase `x`'s ref count and the created signal will have a ref count of 0.

Why not delay the connection until the map signal is ref'd? Otherwise
(as you note below) it will leak.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard    http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDAÂ BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA