Re: [MirageOS-devel] Convenience questions regarding mirage-tcpip

On 23 Jul 2015, at 11:10, Richard Mortier <richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 July 2015 at 10:53, Jeremias Blendin <jeremias@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for a TCP/IP userland implementation to use as a
>> foundation for a TCP session transfer system (transfer as in Server1
>> -> Server2). I want to freeze the TCP stack, dump its state, move the
>> state to another server and rebuild the session from the dumped state.
>>
>> Any ideas/hints if implementing this functionality with Mirage TCP/IP
>> makes sense or is even possible?
>
> All things are possible, to some extent :)
>
> That's actually something we've discussed -- Mindy Preston was
> starting to work on it. The approach we were taking was roughly to use
> Irmin to serialise state -- a first prototype doing this for ARP is at
> https://github.com/yomimono/irmin-arp. Extending this to the full
> TCP/IP stack is definitely an interesting thing to try! (And now that
> Irmin has more Xen support, it should be possible to push it forwards
> too.)

Yep -- pickling the TCP state should be fairly straightforward, since
most of the stack supports s-expression converters.

The trick is reconstructing it and ensuring that all the right hooks
(such as timers) are all fired as a result.

What sort of userland API did you have in mind for your application?
Do you mind linking directly against the OCaml TCP/IP stack?