Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin merge question

> I think it might be useful for setting different mailbox's merge profiles.
> But it is definitely very helpful and easier in updating mailboxâs overall
> statistics like message count, recent messages, etc. Iâm actually not sure if
> I can use the changed objects only to derive this statistics. The change to
> the API seems fairly small - it could be an optional argument to the merge
> that indicates whether to use âfast-forwardâ or not and set to true by
> default.

But I'm not sure to understand why a non fast-foward merge means.

ie, let's say your database is in state x. The Bob forks it. Then you do some
operation, and you are in a state y. Then Bob wants to merge. The merge
callback will be called with old=x, x and y. As Bob didn't do any operation,
the merge result is simply y. There is no stats to update as Bob didn't do
anything (otherwise it wouldn't have stayed in state x). Do you have a concrete
scenario where you still have to update some stats even if Bob didn't do
anything?

Thomas