Re: [MirageOS-devel] deployment scripts: moving (e.g. mirage-www) away from crunch?

Hi,

> I can think of 2 general approaches:
>
> 1. during the existing build process, build both a kernel and a second binary
> blob containing data which will become a BLOCK device. The deployment scripts
> would simply have to attach the BLOCK devices in the VM configuration.
>
> 2. check in the data files into a subdirectory in the deployment tree, and
> make the deployment scripts perform the final conversion (to Irmin, FAT or
> tar). This has the disadvantage that it leaves some of the final âlinkingâ to
> the deployment scripts (which are currently outside the scope of the âmirageâ
> tool) but it has the advantage that the individual data files should be
> de-duped by git/Irmin, since their sha1 hashes should match. If this final
> assembly stage gets more complicated, should the âmirageâ tool gain some
> extra support for it (mirage configure; mirage build; â later on a different
> host â; mirage deploy?)

For short-term I actually I quite like 1... it's simpler in a deployment
perspective: you don't have to install and rely on anything on the deployment
host (just set-up the right disk path in the `.xl` configuration file). But
yes, we loose dedup and flexibility so we don't want to stay there forever.

About `mirage deploy`: I removed recently `mirage run`[1] because it was
impossible to keep it up-to-date with all the deployment backends we wanted for
mirage. I think it make sense instead to have backend-specific deployment
scripts (starting with xl and ec2) without trying too much to make them look
similar. The difficulty is to keep making them work ... As we need this to
deploy mirage.io using xl, I think I'll be happy if we just have a nice
`mirage-deploy-xl` script which takes care of 2.

Thomas

[1]: https://github.com/mirage/mirage/issues/348