Re: [MirageOS-devel] Xen network for mirage

On 6 September 2015 at 12:10, Gareth Rushgrove <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a vague plan of automating the build-out of a box to run many
> unikernels, probably on Packet*.
>
> Does anyone have an up-to-date set of steps for installing Xen,
> including with a suitable network setup and that doesn't require
> physical access?
>
> Asking here as a somewhat brief look around turns up instructutions
> that require you to kill the network while you're connected, ignore
> the network setup, use a very old version of Xen or use a very old
> version of an operating system.
>
> I've heard rumours of the box that runs the the https://mirage.io/
> site. If someone has the installation steps documented for that those
> would be perfect.

For networking, it depends rather on how many IP addresses you have, I
tend to NAT for ipv4 and give my VMs real ipv6 addresses, so I leave
the eth0 config unchanged other than changing the ipv6 netmask to /128
so there is little chance of breaking your connection (v6 and v4 might
give you two ways in anyway). This is on Hetzner.

# Loopback device:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# device: eth0
auto  eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address   148.251.66.45
  broadcast 148.251.66.63
  netmask   255.255.255.224
  gateway   148.251.66.33
  # default route to access subnet
  up route add -net 148.251.66.32 netmask 255.255.255.224 gw 148.251.66.33 eth0

iface eth0 inet6 static
  address 2a01:4f8:202:302c::2
  netmask 128
  gateway fe80::1

auto dummy0
iface dummy0 inet static
  address 0.0.0.0
  netmask 0.0.0.0

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
  address   192.168.23.1
  broadcast 192.168.23.255
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  bridge_ports dummy0

iface br0 inet6 static
  address 2a01:4f8:202:302c::2
  netmask 64

(I add a dummy network as the bridge has no network ports attached
otherwise as eth0 is not on the bridge and Debian doesnt like bringing
up a bridge with no ports).

I then run ipv4 dhcp and radvd on the bridge to auto assign addresses to VMs.

As Thomas says the xen install is pretty easy; I really ought to
automate my setup; this machine was converted form a non Xen machine
some time back.

Justin