Re: [MirageOS-devel] Type enforced security

On 16 September 2015 at 11:12, Garrett Smith <g@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm wondering if the OCaml type systems is (or could be) used to
> enforce a various security baselines to help maintainers guard against
> errant patches, features, etc. Is there a specific example I can point
> to that highlights the advantages of using the OCaml type system
> vis-a-vis C's along this line?

One possibility that springs to mind immediately, and has been
previously discussed but unfortunately not implemented, would be to
use phantom types to tag incoming network data with its endiannes, so
that correct byteswapping could be enforced through the stack. (Though
that would be more a property of the stack rather than a specific
guard against bad patches etc. so not sure it's what you're asking
for...)

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx