Re: [MirageOS-devel] Contributing to Xen for Outreachy 2015

On 25 September 2015 at 22:21, Shivangi Dhir <shivangi.dhir.02@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an Outreachy 2015 Applicant. I have a background in C, C++, Python and
> shell scripting. I am also familiar with concepts of Operating Systems.
>
> I would like to contribute to Xen but I am a little concerned about the
> skill-set required for contributing to the projects mentioned in
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/wiki/Pioneer-Projects.
>
> It would be very helpful if I could get some help getting started.

Based on what you say above, probably the biggest immediate barrier to
overcome is to learn OCaml if you want to participate in any MirageOS
projects. The easiest place to start is with
https://realworldocaml.org/ -- I generaly recommend that ch.1-10
should be sufficient to get started.

After that, then cloning repos and trying to build, run and understand
them is probably the next step :) Start with mirage/mirage-skeleton
and mirage/mirage-www.

As ever, there may be bugs, in code and/or documentation, so if you
come across something that doesn't work as described or doesn't make
any sense, please do contact the list, file an issue, or submit a pull
request!

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx