Re: [MirageOS-devel] Logs

  • To: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:03:46 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 11:04:37 +0000

On 10/16/2015 11:55, Daniel BÃnzli wrote:
> Le vendredi, 16 octobre 2015 Ã 11:23, Hannes Mehnert a Ãcrit :
>> Certainly this could be a layer on top of the simple logging library,
>> but it might be handy to have it embedded at the lowest level. What do
>> others think?
>
> Maybe. As said above I'll try to see if I can find a convenient way to
> generalize the notion of level into a notion of "tag". Reporters can then
> simply consult the tags of an entry to perform what they like. As far as tag
> UUID generation is concerned I don't think that anything automated would be
> practical as you need to be able to control the UUID over more than one
> version of the software (which rules out source code position based hacks).

Agreed that source code position is not valuable for this.

Maybe the source (library/package) and passed in format string (but
then, this changes over time as well [but certainly equality between a
set of ids can be defined externally (in the knowledge base)])?

Does a reporter has access to some meta-information such as originating
library/package and source code position?

hannes