Re: [MirageOS-devel] Logs

Le samedi, 24 octobre 2015 Ã 17:25, Thomas Leonard a Ãcrit :
> stdout/stderr is something OCaml programs can generally assume exists.
> If someone makes a new OCaml platform, it's up to them to make sure
> they do something sensible (mirage-xen sends output to the default
> console, for example). Otherwise, we'd have to ban people from using
> print_endline by default too (which might make sense for a new
> language, but it's too late now for OCaml).

Not sure I see the point with print_endline here, if you are using libraries
that use this function you must be using the wrong ones. Control over channel
usage should always be explicit and left to the application this is why I'm not
happy with 2.

> Finally, if you really want to crash if things aren't configured, you
> should at least do it immediately at start-up so the problem can be
> detected at deployment time, not wait until a serious problem occurs
> in production and then crash instead with an error about the logging
> configuration.

Yes, this is why I have now ruled out 3.

Best,

Daniel