[MirageOS-devel] Syslogd Unikernel

Hi,

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I've started working on a
Syslog parser and a syslogd Unikernel. The latter isn't much more than a
mere copy of the stackv4 skeleton at the moment.

https://github.com/verbosemode/syslogd-mirage
https://github.com/verbosemode/syslog-message

Right now the parser just implements RFC3164[1] and ignores the tag
field. I'm not sure if a full blown RFC 5424[2] compatible parser is
necessary, since most network devices seem to make up their own log
format nowadays. All a Syslog daemon can do in this case is parsing the
facility and severity value, attaching a timestamp, using the source IP
as hostname and treating the rest of the message as payload.

I'm an OCaml beginner and not a professional programmer, that's why
critique, recommendations and ideas are very welcome ;-)

Regards,

Jochen

1) https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3164
2) https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5424