Re: [MirageOS-devel] TunTap vs PACKET sockets

One important difference between (packet sockets, BPF, libpcap, BSD divert
sockets) and (tun, tap) is how you integrate with the host network stack. In
the former, sending via one of those mechanisms enters the host stack via the
output path, and receiving occurs via the input path. The latter mechanisms
introduce synthetic network interfaces in the host stack, so when you send on a
tap/tun device, it enters the input side of the host network stack, and you
receive via its output path.

There are implications to either choice. For example, if you send via BPF, your
packets may not make it back to the host stackâs input path â so you can talk
to other hosts on the network, but not the one that hosts your application â
you should view this as âborrowingâ the host stackâs network interface. If you
use tap/tun, youâll need to set up IP forwarding or link-layer bridging for
your packets to reach other hosts â but theyâll enter the normal stack input
paths without a problem. You should view this as âtalking to the host network
stack as though you are a remote machineâ.

Robert