[MirageOS-devel] [ANN] Irmin now support the latest dev version of ocaml-git

Hi all,

As I have just merged https://github.com/mirage/irmin/pull/482, Irmin now works
with the latest dev version of ocaml-git.

Which means (thanks to the work done by @dinosaure last year):

- bounded allocation policy at runtime (e.g. no more crazy memory consumption
on git pull for large repositories)
- working push/pull et GC/repack

As we are planning a new release in the coming weeks, now is a good time to
test we haven't broke anything to your libraries. The API is not expected to
change much but we are still fixing a few known issues, especially regarding
performance regression (hint: do not write checksum functions in pure OCaml if
you want to be fast).

We would also like to expose the fact that Irmin could act as a fully compliant
Git server -- which is implemented in the latest ocaml-git -- not sure how to
expose in the API yet, feedback is welcome. Same for the GC: it is possible to
run it manually but we haven't added a hook in Irmin API to do that
automatically yet. Both features would probably not make it into the next
release as they require a bit more of design/planning but they are on the
roadmap.

Lastly, if you are interested in Irmin UX/UI (from a CLI point of view), please
make your voice heard in
https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/irmin-usability-enhancements/2017 !

Thanks!
Thomas