Re: upcoming meeting 2022-05-11 14:00 CEST

Hello again,

the next meeting will be May 25th at 14:00 CEST (ics attached).

Below are the minutes of the meeting.

Best,

Hannes

# MirageOS 2022 05 11

attendees: Thomas Leonhard (@talex5), Romain (@dinosaure), Christiano (@haesbaert), @TImada, Renato, Hannes (@hannesm), Thomas Gazagnaire (@samoht)

# Introductions
  - hannes: likes to deploy mirageos
- christiano: was involved in MirageOS, 15 years of OpenBSD, figuring out what is the current state - talex5: not much MirageOS atm, but from next month on eio (and how to get it run under MirageOS), and virtio-gpu
  - dinosaure: working on MirageOS, deploying on KVM
- timada: MirageOS on microcontrollers, real-time OS, integrate Linux and another real-time OS on a soc, wants to integrate MirageOS with other OS in a multi-core SoC - renato: from Brazil, background in web development, adding random features to random programming languages (like emoji for Java), implemented a socks client for MirageOS, working at Mariegold
  - samoht: OCaml, MirageOS, Irmin: finding new use cases

# MirageOS 4.1.1
- new release of "opam monorepo"
  - only one opam file (instead of two: switch vs unikernel)
  - cros-compilation (zarith) support
- chamelon device (yomimonos little file system)

# how o trace a unikernel
- https://github.com/hannesm/memtrace-mirage
- should be updated from janestreet/memtrace (supporting external allocations etc.)
- https://blog.janestreet.com/finding-memory-leaks-with-memtrace/

# Performance
- C: what are the benchmarks?
- there's iperf https://github.com/TImada/mirage_iperf/
- a report on the qubes firewall https://github.com/mirage/qubes-mirage-firewall/issues/130
- cstruct discussions: copying vs non-copying -- we're not zero-copy anymore
- bytes: issue with memory-mapped stuff (xen), also moving (which may go away with ocaml 5)
- page alignment (io-page, used in xen) vs copying (solo5)
- netmap for solo5 https://github.com/solo5-netmap/solo5/tree/netmap
- https://github.com/ocaml-multicore/eio/issues/140
- solo5: minimal & secure, can use virtio, or hvt/spt
- unikraft: well maintained, lacking a ocaml-unikraft (OCaml runtime) -- who's in charge of driving the build?

# Binaries that work everywhere
- https://github.com/dinosaure/esperanto (based on https://github.com/jart/cosmopolitan)