From: Dario Faggioli [mailto:dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 December 2013 14:24
To: Joanna Rutkowska
Cc: publicity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Lars Kurth
Subject: Re: FOSDEM booth demo: QubesOS

On ven, 2013-12-20 at 12:04 +0100, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> Hi Dario, Lars,

Hi again,

> Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately none of us plan to attend FOSDEM.

Too bad. Next time. :-)

> Of course, you can run a Qubes demo at the booth :) I would only
> suggest that you:
>
> 1) Use the latest version available -- currently this is Qubes R2 Beta
> 3 released just last week -- with all the latest updates installed,

Ok, that shouldn't be a problem. I'll update the QubesOS version running on my
laptop early in new year to th version you're suggesting (or to whatever will
be the latest available at that time).

> 2) Make sure you use a compatible hardware, specifically one that
> correctly supports the GPU and power management in Dom0. You might
> want to consult our HCL (http://wiki.qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/HCL),

Yes, that was an issue at the time. Basically, I have an laptop with NVIDIA
Optimus, and making that damn thing not to burn out after a few minutes (i.e.,
enabling the capability of turning off the NVIDIA card) did require some black
magic, but I finally managed.

I'll try again and let you know if I have issues.

> 3) Would be nice if you could also show a Windows 7-based AppVM
> running in seamless mode :)

Indeed... The only possible issue I see with this is licensing stuff. Do you
know if I can use the OEM license key that came with the laptop (as usual! :-/)
for this without any (legal, of course, not technical) issues?

> And, in case any of you were planning to visit Warsaw, I would be
> happy to meet with you and demo and discuss some cool things that
> could be demoed on Qubes :)

Wow... Warsaw. Never been there (never been in Poland, actually) and would love
to... let's see. Perhaps we should organize some events there! :-)

> And, in case of problems with Qubes, I suggest writing to our
> qubes-users mailing list, where help is usually very quickly provided:
>
> http://wiki.qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/QubesLists

I will, thanks.

Expect some news from me on these in January (will be back from vacation on the
7th).

Thanks and Regards,
Dario