Re: [Publicity] [Xen-devel] Xen nested wiki

On ven, 2014-02-14 at 10:24 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 02/14/2014 01:13 AM, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:

> > Sorry. I didn't clarify it clearly. Most of the patches to run nested are
> > already in Xen upstream. What I want is to add "nested is basically
> > supported in Xen 4.4" in the Xen 4.4 release note to let people know it.
>
> I'm afraid "basically supported" will imply to people that they might
> consider shipping it on production systems.  But because of the issues
> with shadow-on-HAP, and the potential locking issues with the nested p2m
> table, both of which are in control of the guest admin rather than the
> host admin, I don't think that's a recommendation we can make at this time.
>
> But I do think making some kind of announcement about common
> functionality being complete and ready to be tested would be a good
> idea.  When we come to make the release we can brainstorm on what
> wording to use.

I agree. Let's not sell something not entirely ready, as that could
backfire, but we should at least hint that it's there and it's improved.

> Actually, I wonder whether advertising Win7's XP compatibility mode as a
> separate "tech preview" feature would make sense.  The people who use
> that feature are very likely very different than most other people who
> might think about using nested virtualization.

Completely agree again. And this is something that could be very well
described in a blog post on the subject (happening after the release), I
think. :-)

Regads,
Dario