Re: [Publicity] FOSDEM talk on CentOS SIGs

I think this is good. I would appreciate KB’s perspective. I think it is likely
that the talk will be rejected though (or bounced to the distro devroom)
It’s not normally a topic for the main track
Lars

On 30 Sep 2014, at 18:06, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Below is a draft of my submission to FOSDEM for a main track talk on CentOS
> SIGs.  Let me know what you think -- the deadline for submission is tomorrow.
>
> Peace,
> -George
>

> * CentOS SIGs: Community packages on an immutable core
>
> CentOS is a "distribution" with a rather unique description: it is a free
> (gratis) clone of a commercially-supported distribution with all the branding
> removed.  Being
Probably say Linux “distribution"
> enterprise-grade distribution means solid, well-tested, and slow-moving; but
> it also means not having the latest functionality.  It also means having a
> small enough
I would take out slow-moving as it duplicates what you say afterwards
It also means used twice
> feature set to provide commercial support in a viable manner: and that
> typically means choosing one technology and sticking with it.
>
> But what if you wanted your entire system to be solid, well-tested, and
> slow-moving, *except* for one particular package or program?  Or what if you
> really wanted an
How about “… solid and well-tested and add the latest functionality for one
particular …”

> enterprise system, but wanted to use one of the alternate technoloies that
> were not selected?
>
> This is where CentOS SIGs come in.  The new CentOS is still at its core a
> clone of an upstream enterprise distribution.  But having had success with
> the Xen4CentOS project, which provided a version of Xen to run on CentOS 6,
> they have now generalized the process.
>
> This talk will talk about CentOS SIGs, and compare and contrast them to other
> community distro development models like Fedora, OpenSuSE, Debian, Ubuntu,
> and so forth.
I would also add: we will also share lessons from the CentOS Virt SIG, in which
a number of virtualisation and related technologies such as Xen, oVirt, Docker
and others collaborate

Regards
Lars