Re: [Publicity] [Xen-devel] The Bitdefender virtual machine introspection library is now on GitHub

  • To: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Razvan Cojocaru <rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:48:10 +0300
  • Cc: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tamas K Lengyel <tamas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mdontu <mdontu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "publicity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <publicity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:47:11 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=bitdefender.com; b=jg9EguwkVDHSoe9EwnuRIXGThyIqSq1ZHY2t46m9Q9C6Wop8aVErvZ+7l0kmOmtcpOFzbWy+AEDofbsSz1HtoPGLLpXjLrc8731PceZOE8ZRrRUKB4Flc3RcZ0qbCFIXslYcuIg2pPzSqwQLrd2cpuc3FCT7Fu+zyy1Lfpt5H5FXRc0MKJl5xAOyFz306ujCXH7foxSEKLoJfTFGq0nm8l2qEvMSWPWHZpUPDw7LA30lHafRmDbrAyJcuiCA+8ArnZQlK1Jn68L1liPeUqIQhQFzJLaQM4UEcVVNgsdon3mH7hRX6np4YIra39B3QlOpYSJeuAMwyxaWetB6Rp9pGQ==; h=Received:Received:Received:Received:Received:From:Subject:To:References:Cc:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-BitDefender-Scanner:X-BitDefender-Spam:X-BitDefender-SpamStamp:X-BitDefender-CF-Stamp;

On 07/29/2015 02:30 PM, Lars Kurth wrote:

>>> Do you have an idea regarding timing? We have another post that is being
>>> worked on, so I wanted to make sure that we don't publish the articles in
>>> the same week
>>
>> I've saved the post to Drafts as instructed, here's the preview link:
>>
>> https://blog.xenproject.org/?p=10850&preview=true
>>
>> Please let me know how to proceed.
>
> Thank you. We will wait for 1-2 days to get feedback, you may need to make
> some modifications and then we agree on a publication date.
>
> The title could maybe be made more interesting. Maybe Sarah has some ideas.

Sorry, couldn't think of another title... Sure, if anyone has a better
idea I'm happy to change it.

>> We’re very happy to announce that the library we’ve created to help us
>> perform virtual
>> machine introspection is now on GitHub, under the LGPLv3 license, here. The
>> library is
>> x86-specific, and while there’s some #ifdeferry suggesting that the earliest
>> supported
>> version is Xen 4.3, only Xen 4.6 will work out-of-the-box with it.
>
> I think you may need a little bit more introduction and context here. If
> someone has not followed your work on xen-devel@ (and those of others in the
> same area), it is not really clear what you refer to. Consequently a reader
> may not get past the first paragraph.
>
> Maybe start with some of your work in Xen and the primary use-case(s) within
> VMI you are trying to solve before that paragraph. It is also OK to refer to
> commercial products/presentations/etc. as long as the post doesn't become a
> product pitch (which I don't think it would)

Understood.

>> While LibVMI is great, and has been considered for the task, it has slightly
>> different design
>> goals: for best results, the user needs to use external Python tools to
>> extract guest information,
>
> I am assuming you refer to best results for LibVMI?

Yes. I'll clarify.

>> usesGlib for caching (which adds to client applications’ dependencies), and
>> it doesn’t allow mapping
>> of guest pages from userspace (so that we could write to them directly).
>
>> Libbdvmi aims to provide a very efficient way of working with Xen to access
>> guest information in an
>> OS-agnostic manner:
> I would also mention Libbdvmi in the "We’re very happy to announce that th
> ..." paragraph, such that
> the name can be referenced. And than maybe say: "In contrast, Libbdvmi ..."
> or something like it
>
> On the bullet points you list: is it correct to say that Libbdvmi is more
> tightly integrated with the recent VMI-Xen work (and Xen in general) and
> smaller compared to LibVMI?

I believe it is, yes, thank you for the suggestion.

> That may lead someone to raise the question why you are not trying to
> upstream the functionality into LibVMI. You may want to tackle this upfront,
> in particular because we moved from mem-access (Xen) to LibVMI (generic) and
> now a more Xen specific variant. Not having followed this in detail, I was
> also wondering whether Libbdvmi a complete re-write or based on LibVMI.

Libbdvmi has been written from scratch using only libxenctrl and
xenstore. Actually, upstreaming this into LibVMI would be great, if
possible.

>> We hope that the community will find it useful, and welcome discussion!
> Concrete calls for action usually work better. You may want to make this more
> concrete.

Understood. Will come up with an updated draft.

Thanks,
Razvan