Re: [Publicity] Docker versus Virtual Machines

On 06/08/2015 09:30, "Ian Campbell" <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 19:16 +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> Btw, I notice in the article that you state that Docker containers
>>cannot
>> [...] support non-Linux workloads.  In Dockercon recently, they
>> demonstrated [...] Windows containers running. (See
>> https://blog.docker.com/2015/06/runc/)
>
>That's Windows containers running on Windows, I think? As opposed to
>Windows running on a non-Windows system.

That is probably correct. And the article says "Native support of Windows
10 containers is being contributed directly by Microsoft engineers", which
implies the support is not yet there, although it may be at some point.

>So I think it would still be accurate to say that docker cannot support
>"non-native" containers or something like that[0]? Which is essentially
>the
>old homogeneous kernel issue with containers.

Maybe we can phrase this more accurately.