Re: [Wg-openstack] [ACTION] Review of OpenStack documentation

On 01/21/2016 06:31 PM, Joao Martins wrote:

> On 01/18/2016 10:09 PM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> On 01/14/2016 05:31 AM, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> as we agreed yesterday, it would make sense to
>>> review
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/xen_libvirt.html
>>> in
>>> light of any new information and changes. In particular
>>>
>>>   * Update baselines and information related to issues
>>>

>> The existing info looks good and is still valid, although I'm not qualified
>> review the Ubuntu paragraph.
> The existing info also looks valid to me.
>

>>>   * Update known issues section
> These two bullet points could perhaps be added:
>
> * On compute nodes running Kilo or later, live migration monitoring relies on
> libvirt APIs that are only implemented since version 1.3.1. When attempting to
> live migrate, the migration monitoring thread would crash and leave the
> instance
> state as "MIGRATING". If you experience such an issue and you're running on
> libvirt < 1.3.1 make sure you backport commits ad71665 and b7b4391 from
> upstream.
>
> * Live migration is supported on libxl libvirt driver since 1.2.5 though it
> doesn't work out of the box on openstack and requires modifications on nova to
> use an alternative migration API. Note that, since 1.3.0 most of these issues
> with respect to migration protocol compatibility have been addressed.
> Furthermore, libvirt support for Peer to Peer mode is undergoing work on libxl
> libvirt driver so that no modifications are required on nova.

With respect to the last meeting minutes
(http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/wg-openstack/2016-02/msg00003.html)
this last paragraph requires changes:

* Live migration is supported on libxl libvirt driver since 1.2.5 though it is
only fully supported on openstack since 1.3.2, that is without modifying the
migration APIs being used by the libvirt client (nova). It is worth mentioning
that 1.3.0 addresses most of these issues with respect to libvirt migration
protocol compatibility; and 1.3.2 gets support for peer to peer migration mode
which nova relies on.