Re: [Wg-openstack] Minutes from Sept 21 Openstack WG meeting

> On 22 Sep 2016, at 16:45, Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 09/21/2016 11:25 AM, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> @ Andy: there is some stuff related to CPUID levelling, which is why you
>> are CC'ed
>>
>> * Status update on CPUID support :
>> Joao had a series which was committed which propagates more CPU info
>> (sockets, ... , host and CCPU capabilities).
>
> For example, Joao's work added the following to host capabilities
>
>    <cpu>
>      <model>IvyBridge</model>
>      <topology sockets='2' cores='12' threads='2'/>
>      <feature name='ds'/>
>      <feature name='acpi'/>
>      <feature name='ht'/>
>      <feature name='tm'/>
>      <feature name='pbe'/>
>      <feature name='dtes64'/>
>      <feature name='monitor'/>
>      <feature name='ds_cpl'/>
>      <feature name='vmx'/>
>      <feature name='smx'/>
>      <feature name='est'/>
>      <feature name='tm2'/>
>      <feature name='xtpr'/>
>      <feature name='pdcm'/>
>      <feature name='pcid'/>
>      <feature name='dca'/>
>      <feature name='xsaveopt'/>
>      <feature name='pdpe1gb'/>
>      <feature name='invtsc'/>
>    </cpu>
>
> His work also included support for 'virsh cpu-compare' and 'virsh
> cpu-baseline'.
> cpu-compare can be used to determine if the host's cpu is compatible with a
> cpu
> described in an XML file (e.g. collected from another host). cpu-baseline can
> be
> used to compute a baseline cpu from an XML file containing several host cpu
> descriptions. So we are now able to compare host cpus to see if they are
> compatible and compute a baseline cpu from a collection of host cpu
> descriptions. What remains is the ability to control the guest cpu
> description.

FYI: Andy is on vacation

>> === Stuck stuff ===
>>
>> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1450465 (no-one looking at that)
>> Joao: not sure how this can be fixed
>> Joao: on some Nova releases this works, but with Neutron it doesn't work
>> Joao: issue with OpenStack assumptions
>> Jim: The only way it solve this is to increase the buffer size
>> Joao: any Xen related fix would create a backwards compatibility issue
>> Jim: not able to specify "want to have PV only", "want to have" ... the
>> default getting both to os hard to change the default ...
>> Jim: instance fails to start because the name is too long we fail the
>> whole thing
>> Joao: name is taken straight from a UID
>>
>> ACTION: Lars it chat to Bob Ball / Platform Team to see whether how XS is
>> working around this or whether there is a way to fix this

I brought this up, and Ian Jackson is not opposed to provide an option in libxl
that allows to optionally provide a custom name for vif's or an option which
leads the generation of a shorter name. Not sure whether this will solve the
problem, but if it does, you may want to quickly chat to him on IRC.

>> === Documentation ===
>>
>> ACTION: all review
>> http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisor-xen-li
>> bvirt.html and let Lars know whether we need to update docs
>
> I did a quick read and didn't notice anything wrt version numbers, know
> issues,
> etc. that needs updated.

Thanks

Lars