[Wg-test-framework] Test project costings

I promised to send a worked-out costing for going with Jump.

Things which need to be included:

  Hosting in a proper datacentre[0]
  Space charges[1]
  Power charges
  External internet connection (at least one
     for each infrastructure server) [2]
  Bandwidth charges [3]
  Intra-rack connectivity if expand to multiple racks
  Physical rack cabinet
  PDU-controlled socket for each machine
  Backups[4]
  Remote serial console access to infrastructure servers
  Sysadmin on contract basis

Assumptions:

  Space and power:
    2 infrastructure servers at 2U and 200VA (~=200W) each
    24 test servers at 1U and 200VA each
    1 internal switch at 1U, 100VA
    1 external switch at 1U, 100VA
  For a total of 30U, 5400VA

  Bandwidth:
    Total external 4Mbit/s 95%ile.

  Contract sysadmin
    80h setup over two weeks, one week spent onsite
    5h per week ongoing

Things NOT included:

  Servers, testbed systems
  Internal switches
  Internal CAT-45 wiring
  Multi-port serial boards
  Serial leads

The proposal would involve the following invoice line items from Jump:

  * "Standard colo" total power 5300VA (we don't need to budget
    for the external switch): L3975/month, no setup fee.
  * "iSCSI" backup storage one 1Tb unit: L25/month, no setup fee.
  * Consultancy L50/hr, 80h setup, 5h ongoing: L5000 setup, L1083/month.
  * Consultancy mileage: 5x Cambridge to London (60mi) and back
            ie 500mi at 0.40: L200.

Bottom line:

  Total L5083/month, L5200 setup.  At the current exchange rate of
  US$1 = UKL0.58392, that's $2968/month, $3036 setup.

Notes:

The power budget above is probably an overestimate, perhaps by a
factor of two or so, so the bottom line I have quoted is a maximum.

Jump have said that they if we commit to 2000VA at their current
prices for a 3-year term, they can offer us a dedicated rack.  If we
don't have certainty of funding for a 3-year term we can probably
negotiate a shorter term with a higher commitment.

Ian.

[0] In this case, Telehouse in London Docklands
[1] Jump do not actually charge separately for space.
[2] Jump actually offer two connections per server.
[3] Jump bundle 4Mbit/s 95%ile _per server.
[4] I have costed this based on backups of the infrastructure servers
    being done to Jump's iSCSI facility, with the machinery on our
    servers set up on a consultancy basis by Jump.