Re: [Wg-test-framework] Machine suggestions from AMD

Here is a detailed proposal for selecting particular machines from
Paul's suggestions, in the form of a spreadsheet.

(You can find everything here too:
  http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/iwj/colo-for-testing.git;a=summary
  git://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/colo-for-testing.git)

Total budget $57,076 for 26 machines, 2 to become the main servers and
24 to become test boxes.  (Switches, etc., not included.)  Of the test
boxes: 42% are AMD (54% by cost).

Paul: please can you confirm the actual prices for the AMD systems.
And can you please confirm that one pair of 2U text boxes will fit.

Everyone else: comments on this selection, budgeting, etc., ASAP
please.

There are some things that need to be explained:

I have based this spreadsheet on Paul's uncorrected figures (see his
email about the omission of shipping and assembly) so there are some
increases to come in the prices.

I have added a pair of higher-spec versions of the Dell R415.  The PDF
from the dell.com website is attached.

There are two very expensive AMD test boxes at the top of the list.
This is to try to balance the quantity and spend between Intel and
AMD.  Conversely there are two very cheap AMD machines at the bottom
of the list.  (It appears that there is a greater variety of Intel
machines available.)

This amount is bigger than was approved by the Xen Project Advisory
Board but I think we can just go back to them to approve it and this
won't be a problem (and can be done quickly).  We should seek
re-approval for the bigger amount plus (as before) some headroom.

Alternatively we can go ahead without the two big AMD machines; that
would be $42,342, well within the budget (and would have 36% AMD test
boxes by number or 34% by value).  If it is convenient we could start
work now and get approval for the extra budget (which I am confident
of getting) in parallel.

I'm assuming that one pair of 2U test boxes will fit in the rack.
That will give us 26 machines of which 4 in total (the two main
servers and the two big AMD test boxes) are 2U, for a total of 30U.
(Of course we need to fit some cable management, switches,
etc. etc. in as well.)