Re: [Wg-test-framework] Minutes of monthly Xen+Libvirt OpenStack meeting (Match 25th)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 04:22:48PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Lars Kurth wrote:
> > LK :asks what Xen + Libvirt baseline we are using
> >
> > BB: at the moment we have a custom based system which uses Xen 4.4.2
> > (with some of JF's patches) + Ubuntu Dom0 + an older libvirt version
> > with some patches.
> > BB: we were also queuing up Daniel B's fix (aka 159106
> > <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159106>). We can easily add
> > openstack changes that are necessary into the custom config.
> >
> > LK wonders whether the randomness of failures are an indicator that we
> > are suffering from the concurrency issues that JF is investigating
> >
> > JF: has been looking at running Tempest in parallel. Whether the
> > intermittent failures would be improved is not clear.
> >
> > BB: Even within serial Tempest, multiple VMs are run and thus it is
> > plausible that the intermittend failures could be caused by this.
> >
> > JF: if VM's are started/destroyed concurrently we could be hitting the
> > issues that have been fixed.
> > JF: I've made some progress on the concurrency problems Tempest (and
> > my reproducer) bump into.
> >
> > JF: sent mail with additional patches for Xen 4.4 & 4.5 and Libvirt
> > (yesterday several patches) were committed.
> >
> > [Copy of text from JF's e-mail sent prior to the meeting
> >

> >     On the Xen side, 5 patches are needed on top of current 4.4.x and
> >     4.5.x.  Commits 93699882d and f1335f0d from master and 4783c99a,
> >     1c91d6fba, and 188e9c54 from staging.
> >
> >     A lot of work has been done on the libvirt side, much of which has
> >     been
> >     committed. I do have one last series of three patches fixing issues
> >     related to domain destroy that are not yet posted upstream.  With
> >     those
> >     patches on top of current libvirt.git master, and a libxl containing
> >     aforementioned Xen patches, my Tempest reproducer passes.
> >
> > ]
> >
> > LK: asks how easy it is to change the Xen and Libvirt baseline
> >
> > BB: Not particularly straight forward, unless we can upgrade for all
> > of the tests.
> > BB: We can't run a single test with a custom version with libvirt or
> > Xen. Would have change for all tests.
> >
> > LK: given the intermittent failures changing the Xen + Libvirt
> > baseline would actually
> >
> > AP: Testing a specific version of Xen 4.4.1 + additional patches and
> > Libvirt plus patches
> > AP: Tried JF's new patches on his local set-up in parallel, and still
> > gets many time-outs.
>
> Anthony, did your local setup include the five libxl patches I mentioned
> (and Lars pasted above)?

Yes, well only four of them; patch "libxl: Domain destroy: unlock userdata
earlier" (1c91d6fba) did not apply, there were nothing about a userdata
lock.

What I did is, get the xen source package, apply those patches and rebuild
the package.

> To test Tempest in parallel, I'd suggest using
> a Xen that includes the five libxl patches and libvirt.git master plus
> this series
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2015-March/msg01337.html

Thanks for the link, I'll try it out.

--