From: Ian Jackson [mailto:Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:52 AM
To: Dugger, Donald D
Cc: Ian Campbell; wg-test-framework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Wg-test-framework] linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600
storage controller

Dugger, Donald D writes ("RE: [Wg-test-framework] linux 3.14.34 failure to
detect disks on C600 storage controller"):
> So you have two config files for 3.14, one the original that doesn't
> work and one that was based upon the Debian 3.16 kernel that does.
> Can you send me a copy of those two config files,

Not exactly.  What we have is:

  3.14.36 fails with osstest config
    failing config here

http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/50472/build-amd64-pvops/build/
    which I have copied here so that it survives the osstest log expiry
      http://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/2015/50472.build-amd64-pvops.config
    (This is very similar to the 3.14.34 osstest config which I
    supplied a URL for previously.)

  3.14.36 success with config based on Debian's 3.2.0-4 [1]
    successful config in my previous email but I have saved a copy
    here too in case that's more convenient.
      http://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/2015/chardonnay-debian-based-config

> it should be possible to identify the difference that is causing the problem.

iwj@xenbits:~/public_html/2015$ diff -u 50472.build-amd64-pvops.config
chardonnay-debian-based-config | egrep '^\+CONFIG' | wc -l
2754
iwj@xenbits:~/public_html/2015$ diff -u 50472.build-amd64-pvops.config
chardonnay-debian-based-config | egrep '^\-CONFIG' | wc -l
317

Good luck.

Thanks,
Ian.

[1] This kernel was generated as follows:
  1. clone 3.14.36
  2. copy Debian's 3.2.0-4 out of /boot into .config
  3. run the osstest enable-xen-config script to adjust options
     that osstest thinks it wants
  4. yes '' |make oldconfig
This is very similar to the osstest config generation process; the difference
is that osstest uses `make defconfig' for step 2, which of course is very
different from Debian's setup.