Re: [Wg-test-framework] MS Licenses update for Test Lab

> The best scheme for us, is probably a VDA licensing agreement, which
> works out at around $100 per VM per year (so worst case, we'd be
> looking at $2400 per year). There may be other options at similar
> price points. There would be no license server required (which is
> something Ian said would be an issue).

Indeed, our current system cannot run more than one VM on any one test
box.  In the future this may change but we can extend the existing
resource allocation framework to ensure that we do not exceed this
quota.

Note that this year we plan to spend more money on hardware so this
yearly bill would double.

> * Do we just use the Windows VMs and are they transitory, aka
> created / killed on demand : clearly yes

Yes.

> * Can we restrict the number of test VM's : clearly yes the way how VDA
> licensing works is that MS would occasionally spot check how many VM's we are
> running and charge more if we go above limit

Yes.

> * Would we be able to include Windows 8 into testing if needed : I
> was assuming yes the VDA agreement is only available for Windows
> 8.1+, but would allow us to run older Windows versions also. There
> may be a requirement to run at least one Windows 8+ VM though (to be
> confirmed)

"Requirement to run at least one Windows 8+ VM" doesn't seem to make
much sense given that much of the time there won't be _any_ Windows
VMs running.

> * Do we need to test against Windows Server  : I was assuming that Desktop
> Windows versions are fine. If we need server also, the cost would probably go
> up

As I say, we can limit our numbers of simultaneous VMs.

> It does look as if we have a way forward, but Steve warned that MS moves at
> glacial speed and this may take some time to sort out. But at least there is
> progress and there seems to be a way forward.

Should I start thinking about the development work necessary to
allocate Windows licences ?  (Effectively, this would make our
existing resource scheduler serve as a licence server.)