[Wg-test-framework] laxton (softiron) boot failure with Debian linux-image-4.7.0-0.bpo.1-arm64

You helped me out a month or two ago with the two Softiron arm64 boxes
in the Xen Project Colo.  I'm afraid I still can't get them working.

I have sorted out (I think) most of the booting problems.  Because you
advised a newer kernel was required, I have arranged to try the
version from Debian jessie-backports.  Currently that's
  linux-image-4.7.0-0.bpo.1-arm64_4.7.8-1~bpo8+1_arm64.deb

The bootloader seems to transfer control to the kernel OK, but I see
nothing after this:

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, no randomness supplied
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...

My kernel command line is like this:

  linux /osstest/debian-installer/arm64/2016-12-16-jessie/linux.backports
vga=normal auto=true preseed hw-detect/load_firmware=false DEBCONF_DEBUG=5
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text hostname=laxton0
url=osstest.test-lab.xenproject.org/~iwj/osstest/laxton0_preseed
netcfg/dhcp_timeout=150 netcfg/choose_interface=auto
domain=test-lab.xenproject.org   console=ttyS0,115200n8 --
console=ttyS0,115200n8

The initrd is a jessie version of debian-installer, modified by the
osstest `mg-debian-installer-update' script, principally to
incorporate the kernel modules and DTBS from the backports kernel
package.  (That part of the script was written by Ian Campbell.)

I also tried the kernel from Debian stretch.  It did the same thing.
(I don't really want to make osstest depend on a stretch kernel,
because they update frequently and the updates break things.  But I
think probably stretch should be fixed and anyway to get the kernel
into backports it would have to be in stretch first.)

Can you offer any helpful advice, or direct me to the right place ?

Thanks,