Re: [win-pv-devel] Parameterization vendor prefix and PCI device id

XENBUS will bind to the Xen platform device (namely 5853:0001), an old
XenServer variant of that (5853:0002) or a 'vendor' device of which the only
registered example is one for XenServer (5853:C000) to which you refer below...

> Another strange think is default device id in xen, looking libxl_dm.c
> the default seems nothing:
> > switch (b_info->u.hvm.vendor_device) {
> >          case LIBXL_VENDOR_DEVICE_XENSERVER:
> >              flexarray_append(dm_args, "-device");
> >              flexarray_append(dm_args, "xen-pvdevice,device-id=0xc000");
> >              break;
> >          default:
> >              break;
> >          }
> But from qemu patch:
> http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commitdiff;h=539891a85d17bd8c23a254
> 7e52e26993350d2c3a
> Is also nothing the default and in commit description tell that should
> always specified by toolstack.
> Xen should set xen project id by default but actually don't do it, is it
> right?
>  From libxl_dm.c seems that can set correctly xen-pvdevice only for
> xenserver case.
> Should add -device xen-pvdevice,device-id=0x0001 on default based on
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable-staging/misc/pci-device-
> reservations.txt
> or I'm wrong?

QEMU, as invoked via libxl, will always create the Xen platform device
(5853:0001) and so nothing special is required in xl.cfg to give you a VM into
which you can install PV drivers.

> Docs seems that write about also others possible id but actually
> u.hvm.vendor_device provide only none or xenserver.
> Added Stefano Stabellini on cc.

That is correct. No-one else has registered a vendor device.

  Paul