Re: [win-pv-devel] bsod in xenbus.sys

De-htmling...

-----
From: win-pv-devel [mailto:win-pv-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Walter Hofstädtler
Sent: 10 October 2018 06:36
To: win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [win-pv-devel] bsod in xenbus.sys

Hi,

I reinstalled a Win 2012 R2 Server and got 3 times an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in
xenbus.sys, Windows stopped with graphical screen, no reboot, simply stop.
Unfortunately there was no memory.dmp file, nor any entries in event log.  I
assume if xenbus.sys fails, Windows can't write to disk any longer. All 3 BSOD
are seen while installing software or updates.

Environment:
  Host: SLES 12 SP3, Intel server hardware,
  DomU: Win 2012R2, XEN PV Driver 8.2.1.

Any ideas how to debug this issue?

Walter
-----

Hi Walter,

The drivers log via QEMU. Are you using upstream QEMU or trad? If you are using
upstream then you need to create an events file somewhere containing the line:

xen_platform_log

Then you need a line in your xl.cfg:

device_model_args=[ "-trace", "events=<absolute path to your file>" ]

You should then find some useful logging in a file called
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<name of your vm>-dm.log

If you are using qemu trad then you should also find log messages in the above
file, but you don't need to do anything to enable them.

This should hopefully give some clue as to what is going wrong.

  Paul