Re: [win-pv-devel] [RFC] Code of Conduct

Hi George,

On 12/08/2019, 12:35, "George Dunlap" <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 8/9/19 6:48 PM, Lars Kurth wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Following the discussion we had at the Developer Summit (see
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Design_Sessions_2019#Community_Issues_.2F_Improvements_-_Communication.2C_Code_of_Conduct.2C_etc.
 for notes) I put together a draft for the Code of Conduct which can be found
here as well as inlined below

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NnWdU_VnC1N_ZzxQG6jU9fnY2GPVCcfPJT5KY61WXJM/edit?usp=sharing

    > It is based on the LF Events CoC as we agreed on (the diff is attached).
I took the scope and enforcement sections from
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct.html and
simplified it rather than inventing something new.

    > You can provide feedback by commenting on the google doc or by replying
to the in-lined version below.
    > I expect it will some more discussion to get consensus.
    >
    > Note that I am not very attached to some of the terms, such as "Xen
Project CoC  Team" and in some cases "participant" should probably be replaced
by community
    > members.
    >
    > But I felt, we should have something more concrete to discuss compared to
previous discussions.

    > A Code of Conduct is a project wide policy change: thus, all subprojects
lists are CC'ed

    Thanks for doing this Lars.  I think this is a step forward.

    I have a couple of comments, but only on the wording.

    > Regards
    > Lars
    >
    > Here is the actual text
    > ---
    > # Our Pledge
    > In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as
community
    > members of the Xen Project pledge to making participation in our project
and our
    > community a harassment-free experience for everyone.

    To me "pledge" means "promise"; and I don't think we can promise anyone
    that they'll have a harassment-free experience.  I might say, "we ...
    are committed to making participation ... a harassment-free experience";
    or "we ... pledge to maintain a harassment-free experience" or something
    like that.

This comes directly from the Contributor Covenant v1.4
But I also like "we ... are committed to making participation ... a
harassment-free
experience" better then pledge.

    > # Unacceptable Behavior
    > Harassment will not be tolerated in the Xen Project Community in any
form,
    > including but not limited to harassment based on gender, gender identity
and
    > expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body
size, race,
    > age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, level of experience, education, or
    > socio-economic status or any other status protected by laws in
jurisdictions in
    > which community members are based.

    > Harassment includes the use of abusive,
    > offensive or degrading language, intimidation, stalking, harassing
photography
    > or recording, inappropriate physical contact, sexual imagery and
unwelcome
    > sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, publishing others' private
    > information such as a physical or electronic address without explicit
permission
    > and other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
    > professional setting.

    Should we put "such as physical or electronic address[es]" in parentheses?

Fine with me

    Also, I'm in favor of the Oxford Comma (so a comma after 'permission').

    I might say "or any other conduct"; for some reason it sounds more
    natural to me.

Either works

    > Any report of harassment within the Xen Project community will be
addressed
    > swiftly. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected
    > comply immediately. Anyone who witnesses or is subjected to unacceptable
    > behavior should notify the Xen Project’s CoC team via
conduct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

    > # Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
    > If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Xen Project’s CoC
team may
    > take any action it deems appropriate, ranging from issuance of a warning
to the
    > offending individual to expulsion from the Xen Project community.

    I realize by saying "range" you probably meant to include this, but I
    think spelling out "temporary suspension" as a possible consequence.  E.g.:

    "If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Xen Project's CoC
    team will investigate and take an action it deems appropriate against
    the offending individual.  This may include issuing a warning, temporary
    suspension from mailing lists or commit rights, or expulsion from the
    XenProject community."

That looks good

    That's all I had; thanks again, Lars.

I am wondering how you feel about the usage of  "participant". There are
a few instances left in the text.

"Any report of harassment within the Xen Project community will be addressed
swiftly. Participants asked to stop ..."

# Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour

I would probably also want to replace this with "Community member asked ..."
and "If a community member engages in ..."

Regards
Lars