Re: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft

Ewan Mellor wrote:

Here's a thought -- how about we provide a call with the semantics of "please
give me the next event", which blocks at the server until an event becomes
available.  The client would call the server with registration for events, and
then make this synchronous call in another thread or in a select() loop, which
would block until an event arrives.  If the connection gets broken without an
event, just reconnect and block again.

Yes, this would work. The advantage of a blocking poll is simplicity. And we could use this method for all asynchronous methods.

I still believe we need an asynchronous notification. The blocking poll is pretty heavy. If you imagine a management application that is monitoring one hundred machines, it would need to have 100 sessions blocked on the event method.

Mike