Re: [Xen-API] UUID for Domain-0 ?

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:47:10PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Currently XenD/XenStore doesn't provide a real UUID for Domain-0 - its
> always fixed at 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000. If the new API is
> to allow management of multiple hosts having all their Dom-0's with a
> null UUID is going to complicate things somewhat for users of the API.

Yes, that's a good point.  The reason we did that initially was to ensure that
your domain 0 UUID didn't change across a reboot (there was a reason we needed
that, but I can't remember what it was right now).

I think that we could arrange for domain 0 to get a real but fixed UUID.

> Is it intended to expose the real UUID of the host being managed. Most
> machines I've encountered have a UUID embedded in the SMBIOS which would
> be the obvious thing to use for Domain-0
>
> $ lshal | grep smbios.system.uuid
>   smbios.system.uuid = 'EF861801-45B9-11CB-88E3-AFBFE5370493'  (string)

Well, the host itself needs a UUID too -- wouldn't the SMBIOS UUID be more
appropriate for the host, rather than domain 0?

Ewan.