Re: [Xen-API] Fwd: Getting VM stats

I agree with Ewan, Dan, et al. Xen/Xen-API/xend/xenbus should *not* attempt to be the "One True Ring" management infrastructure for all host, virtualization and guest management, but rather it should focus specifically on managing what it knows and controls best - allocation of certain host resources to virtualized guests. There is still going to be *lots* of other important system management tasks, including performance and resource utilization monitoring, that are outside of the scope of Xen itself - eg inband guest OS memory usage - and some that it should get involved with - eg exposing metric info from the front/back vbd & vif drivers.

I dont think going down the path of try to exploiting xenbus and/or Xen-API as a general purpose conduit for all guest/host mgmt is a good idea. As stated, there are lots of other existing infrastructure/tooling for obtaining this info. In terms of *exposing* this data to consumers in a standardized form, when this is desired, we have CIM (note CIM does not dictate how/where you *get* the raw data, just how to present it).

- Gareth

Inactive hide details for "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>

          "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          12/20/06 06:12 AM

          Please respond to
          "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>

jdsw <jdsw2002@xxxxxxxxx>

cc

xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:08:42AM -0800, jdsw wrote:
> I understand that mechanism for collecting data might be different and
> specific. But the transport and API to get that information can be
> standardised. For example, a way to push some structured data on xenbus
> and make it accessible  through Xend api.

Any monitoring standard though, is not going to standardize on a Xen-API
transport, because it'll obviously want to be equally appicable to non-Xen
environments. I imagine that Xen-API will be used as one data source for
collecting such monitoring data, but the monitoring data transport & arch
will be at a layer above - it would merely have a Xen-API plugin for getting
HV / VBD / VIF stats.

Wrt to pushing stats from DomU back to Dom0 via XenBus - there's not really
any clear benefit to doing that for general perf monitoring. Monitoring systems
will typically send data off-host to a remote / centralized collection point,
so sending it from DomU -> Dom0 -> <monitor-host>, does seem to really
give any benefit over just having  DomU -> <monitor-host>. It could even be
detrimental when you think of the complication of migration which means the
undering Dom0 you're on can change at any time.

> Also, I am not sure, if the email that I fwd got other questions about,
> how to get certain basic metrics through Xend instead of using combination
> of Xend API, Memory Maps, parsing files for VBD and n/w information.

The Xen-API is intended to give access to stats on CPU timeslice allocated
to VMs, memory allocation, VBD & VIF  I/O stats - basically anything that is
related to the Dom0 management side of VMs. So for Xen specific stats the
Xen-API should be the primary access point, while OS specific stats the Dom0
or DomU OS can be used as with baremetal. Xen-API isn't intending to provide
general stats for Dom0 OS, since they can already be obtained with a variety
of other tools.

> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:54:10AM -0800, jdsw wrote:
> > Do you guys have any suggestion ?
> >   (I did not get satisfactory answers to each of the questions on dev forum)
> >
> >   In addition is there a plan for a streamlined access to things happening
> > in Domu information through Dom0. For example: Top process information in a
> > DomU available through Dom0 ?
>
> The Xen-API work is really about management of Dom0 and DomU VMs as opaque
> entities viewed from Dom0. Collecting OS specific details about work going on
> inside the DomU (eg processes running, detailed breakdown of CPU & memory
> usage) is best handled by a dedicated monitoring API. It has very different
> requirements of that of Xen-API, in particular from a performance / overhead
> POV. There are a wide variety of existing OS monitoring tools which can be
> deployed inside DomUs, Big-Sister, Nagios, Ganglia, to name but three such
> tools.

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston.  +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=-           Perl modules: