[Xen-API] Passing information between guest and remote program using XenAPI

Hi,

I want to address an issue that we consider a XenAPI limitation.

We have a remote launcher program that wants to communicate with a guest on another machine, preferably through XenAPI.

There seems to be no generic way of passing information between the launcher and the guest using XenAPI. Something like writing and reading information to XenStore would be nice, but any other suggestion of how to pass information over the wire would be welcome. Note that we need to transfer data in both directions. Two typical use cases are:

* Guest OS wants to export an IP or a console log to the remote launcher.
* Remote launcher wants to tell the guest OS that it has read the console log

This has to be done without relying on the TCP/IP stack, because it's typically the TCP/IP stack is misconfigured.

Guest metrics can already be exported from a guest in XenAPI, but the problem is that they are read only.

Currently we've patched our XenAPI implementation - VM has been augmented with two methods - xenstore_write and xenstore_read, which have been implemented in XendAPI.py on the Xen machine. This is not a viable solution in the long term, since we can't go and patch every Xen installation we want to run on.

I would like to propose that a similar mechanism for XenStore manipulation be added to the XenAPI, since I can think of several other uses for it. Is there any other way to solve our problem using the existing API?

Regards,

Marcus Lagergren
Consulting member of technical staff
Oracle Corporation