Re: [Xen-API] How to setup network with VLAN on bonding

  • To: Anthony Xu <anthony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:17:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:17:35 -0800

Hi Anthony,

It is possible to have a VLAN on top of a bond. To do this, first create the
bond, and then create the VLAN on top of the bond master.

You would first need to create two Network objects (with Network.create): one
for the bond and one for the VLAN. Then use Bond.create with the ref of the new
bond network and refs of the PIFs that you are bonding, which will return a ref
to the new Bond object. A bond master PIF object will be created as well; get a
ref to this via Bond.get_master. Then create the VLAN by doing VLAN.create,
giving it the second network you created, the bond master PIF, and the VLAN
tag. Besides the VLAN object, an "untagged PIF" (a.k.a. VLAN master PIF) will
be created, which will be connected to your VLAN network. Use
VLAN.get_untagged_PIF to get a ref to this PIF. Finally, plug the untagged PIF
using PIF.plug to make everything happen. Only now the actual devices are
created in dom0, and your VMs can use the VLAN network.

Regards,
Rob