RE: [Xen-API] XenAPI, xapi toolstack, XendAPI, XL

Hi George,

It is a bit confusing. Here's the history:

* In the beginning was "xend" (the daemon) and "xm" (the CLI) both written in
python, which communicated over an s-expression protocol.
* Next there was a desire to improve the protocol and also to switch from
s-expressions to something based on XMLRPC. The "XenAPI" is the name for this
new protocol.
* The "XenAPI" was implemented both in "xend" (python) and in "xapi" (ocaml)
(although "xapi" wasn't open-source back then). Note that "xapi" doesn't share
any code with "xend": it talks to xenstore, makes hypercalls etc directly.
* The version of the "XenAPI" implemented by "xend" and "xapi" have diverged:
for example "xapi" is more focused on managing pools of hosts while "xend" is
more of a single host service.
* The XCI (Xen Client Initiative) people also created a toolstack, called
"xenvm" (ocaml)
* Next there was a desire to share more code between all toolstacks, to prevent
confusion and accidental reimplementation. The library with the common code is
called "libxl"
* Next there was a desire to create a "minimal" toolstack for testing "libxl":
this is called "xl"

So:

Toolstacks: xend (python); xapi (ocaml); xenvm (ocaml); xl (C)
Protocols: original xend s-expressions; XenAPI (XMLRPC)
Libraries: libxl

Cheers,
Dave