[Xen-API] VBD.get_VDI and guest agents

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew White <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:50:57 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:51:07 -0700

Hey all!

Sorry if anyone reads this twice - I've just realised I should have sent this to the xen-api list instead of the xen-users list!

I've been writing a custom interface to administrate Xen internally using the API. I'm doing ok, but I've got a couple of questions:

1) To get a list of VBDs from a VM, I call VM.getVBD(session, VM ref) - works like a charm, and I get back all the correct VBD refs. I've tried since though calling VBD.get_VDI(session, VBD ref) (the refs pulled from the previous call) and I get back a blank response. It's quite strange - I get a success message, but the returned value is blank. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

2) I understand I can't call any metrics, as there is no guest agent running on my machines (all HVM non modified OSes). I've used various virtualisation platform in the past and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a current guest agent that works with XenSource? Or a project being worked on? Or in the right direction of how to build my own custom guest agent?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew