[Xen-API] Re: openvswitch problem with XCP 1.0 RC3

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: blp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ben Pfaff)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:36:02 -0800
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:pGshT3/9UV4MA88jAaMjA1CHsdc=
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:36:30 -0800

Christian Fischer
<christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> On Saturday 26 February 2011 06:15:26 Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> Adrian Costin <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> > When using the openvswitch backend (which is the default) on XCP 1.0 RC3
>> > network traffic for VLANs doesnât reach the virtual machine.
>> >
>> > Switching to bridge works without problems.
>>
>> Some kernel network drivers, including igb, have VLAN-related
>> bugs that affect OVS but not the Linux bridge.  At Nicira we're
>> working on a workaround for this.  It will likely be ready next
>> week.
>
> A simple ping should always work.
>
> There are two problems with igb/e1000e/e1000.
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/24670/
> You must patch the drivers to avoid chksum errors like
> e1000_tx_csum: checksum_partial proto=81!
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss_openvswitch.org/2010-
> November/001143.html
> You must set the external port MTU to 1518 or VMs MTU to 1492
>
> We have no problems at all since we've applied the patches and adjusted the
> external port MTU settings. All Networks are VLAN tagged, including the
> Control network. All externel switch ports are vlan trunks tagged with the
> appropriate VLAN IDs.

Fixing the bugs in the drivers is always a better solution.  If
your drivers work, then that's so much the better for you.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org