[Xen-API] XenAPI: Why OpaqueRef instead direct UUID

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:09:40 +0300
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:10:04 -0700

Good day.

I am using XenAPI for a long time. We have found some performance issues
with XenAPI: the conversion from OpaqueRef to UUID. Each OpaqueRef
should be resolved manually, and this almost doubles request amount.

I got used to them, but I still do not understand why they was
introduced in XenAPI.

Could someone describe me the reason behind OpaqueRefs? Why they are
only valid within a single session? Why they are added in the fist
place?

---
wBR, George.