[Xen-API] import_raw_vdi

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jarrod Baumann <jarrod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:14:20 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:14:30 -0700

I have a large number of images for different operating systems and their
various versions.  Needless to say, these images are quite large (>1GB).

I have automated the process of booting new instances and part of the step is
to issue the xapi call import_raw_vdi that specifies the VDI Reference and
uploads the raw image via POST to import.  This process is painfully slow even
on 1GB interfaces and I was looking for a way to POST the image gzip
compressed.  Would this method be possible if I specified a certain HTTP Header
(such as Content-Encoding) so a much smaller image could be sent over the wire?

Any other recommendations that may correct my thinking/design are also more
than welcome.

Thanks,

Jarrod Baumann