Re: [Xen-API] delays with network traffic

  • To: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ilya Kalinin <lidenskap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:00:53 +0400
  • Bcc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:23:25 -0700

Actually it doesn't refer to ping intervals, got the same effect with any delay. The issue is about slowing the network performance down on both DomU and Dom0 when doing *anything* with Dom0. I think the problem is newer started processes has a higher PRI value, which is immediate priority (PRI). You can see it by doing "ps ax --format uname,pid,cmd,pri".
PRI often gets a boost (i.e. lower value) when a process is being restarted after blocking on I/O, and conversely is lowered (higher value) if it uses up its scheduler-assigned time slot without blocking, at least with the standard scheduler. Many systems have alternative schedulers with different behaviors, but in all cases PRI is the actual current priority that the scheduler has assigned; this value is influenced by, but not defined by, the assigned "niceness".