Re: [Xen-API] XCP BETA BUG: memory limits error

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 01:49:51PM +0100, George Shuklin wrote:
> xe vm-memory-limits-set uuid=any dynamic-min=128MiB dynamic-max=256MiB
> static-min=128MiB static-max=256MiB
> Error code: MEMORY_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATION
> Error parameters: Memory limits must satisfy: static_min â dynamic_min =
> dynamic_max = static_max

Normally, we would expect Xapi to apply the following constraint:

        static_min <= dynamic_min <= dynamic_max <= static_max

However, when the DMC feature flag is missing, Xapi instead applies
the following constraint:

        static_min <= dynamic_min = dynamic_max = static_max

The following code checks for the DMC feature flag, and chooses the
more restrictive constraint if the feature flag is not present:

https://github.com/xen-org/xen-api/blob/master/ocaml/xapi/xapi_vm_memory_constraints.ml
let assert_valid_and_pinned_at_static_max ~constraints =
        if not (are_valid_and_pinned_at_static_max ~constraints)
        then raise (Api_errors.Server_error (
                Api_errors.memory_constraint_violation,
                        ["Memory limits must satisfy: \
                        static_min â dynamic_min = dynamic_max = static_max"]))

let assert_valid_for_current_context ~__context ~vm ~constraints =
        (if Db.VM.get_is_control_domain ~__context
                        ~self:vm || (Pool_features.is_enabled ~__context
Features.DMC)
                then assert_valid
                else assert_valid_and_pinned_at_static_max)
        ~constraints

So, to solve this problem, it's necessary to find out why the
DMC feature flag is not being set.

Cheers,
Jonathan