Re: [Xen-API] ha-restart-policy =1, 2, 3 invalid for latest version of Xenserver

  • To: Pankaj Kumar Biswas <pankaj.kumarbiswas@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: John Else <john.else@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:23:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:24:55 +0000

> In Xenserver 6.0 (boston release) ha-restart-policy we cannot set to 1,2 or 3 ...only we can make it to best-effort and restart..

> Is it true?? If yes may I have the reason to do so??  Do we have any documentation regarding that??

Hi Pankaj,

The HA API was changed in XenServer 6.0 – there is a new VM field “order”, which is used together with ha-restart-priority to define a VM’s HA behaviour.

Where previously you would have set a VM’s restart priority to 1, you would now call:

xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm-uuid> ha-restart-priority=restart order=1

The order field can hold any non-negative 64 bit integer, and VMs with a lower order will be restarted first after an HA failover.

It looks like the administrator’s guide still refers to the old API – I’ll see about getting this updated.

Thanks,

John