Re: [Xen-API] Doubts regarding the VMs on XCP

  • To: Medhavini Buchade <medhavini1991@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 21:28:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 21:29:02 +0000

Two things - the linux installers use either a cd image to install from or they use the network. By setting install-repository as you have implies a network install, and so for this to work your vm will need a vif (virtual network interface).

Secondly, installing from the linux templates is a bit like installing real Linux machines - you need to go through the install process, selecting what software to install, how to partition your disks etc. it sounds like what you've done is to effectively start the install procedure, then pull the plug. When you next try to start it, it's complaining quite rightly that you haven't got a kernel to boot from.

The best thing to do is to use a GUI (openxenmanager) to connect to the console after you've started the installation.

Jon