Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.5 eta

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Scott Zupek <scottz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:58:34 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 05:58:50 +0000

I am curious for a little information and am wondering if anyone can provide it.

I originally used the XCP ISO but had to ditch it because XCP wasn't easily compatible with the software raid scenario that we used and since have jumped over to KVM.

Personally I have never seen any hypervisor even come close to the performance I have gotten from the Paravirtualization KVM solution on Debian.  It blows everything else I have used to date (all freeware, ESXi and XCP 1.1) for small business.  But I would like to know what am I missing by going with para virtualizatoin like KVM over a hardware thingy mbob (cant remember the actually name sorry, its the one where the VM gets direct access to the hardware). I have windows server 2008 w/ 2 VCPU's and 1024mb of VRAM booting up in 10 seconds and shutting completely down in 10 seconds.  This is light years better than even with dedicated software.  The hyperthreading seems to be exactly as it should, so for a small business (or even a larger business such as UBISOFT) what benefits does one have using XCP over something like KVM.

I am simply asking because I don't understand why everyone on the planet hasn't jumped onto KVM's.

Thank you and no fanboyism junk here, simply want to know for the sake of having knowledge.

Scott