Re: [Xen-API] [XCP] [kronos] missed nfs-common dependence

  • To: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:42:54 +0800
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:01:07 +0000

On 01/14/2012 03:54 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Package xcp-storage-manager has no dependence on nfs-common. Without
> that package very non-intuitive error appear during type=nfs sr creation:
>
> Error code: SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_72
> Error parameters: , Required NFS server version unsupported
> [opterr=rpcinfo failed or timed out: return code 2],
>
> (and some idea - may be it can be rational to split SM to few packages
> - main, with refcounter and so on, and individual packages for every
> type? We don't need samba for systems without SMB, we don't need nfs
> for systems, who don't use NFS and so on. Making one big package is

Hi,

There's no absolute needs for NFS. You well may be using Samba
instead (which I do, I'm used to setting-up Samba share, I'm less
confident with NFS).

Adding a new Depends: would *force* everyone to install nfs-common,
which isn't something we want to do (NFS isn't strictly needed).

In the Debian package which I uploaded to SID, xcp-storage-managers
already has a Recommends: lvm2, nfs-common. I think that's really
enough. Remember: everything that is in the Recommends section
will be installed by default, unless you *manually* decide to not install
recommended software, either by using the --no-install-recommends
on the apt-get command line, or by adding this as an option in your
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d with something like that:

APT
   {
      Install-Recommends "false";
   }

So I think everything is fine by default, and that we have nothing
to change. Please let me know if you don't agree, and explain why
you think I'm wrong here.

Best regards,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)