Re: [Xen-API] How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack?

Hey mike, thanks for the reply, i really appreciate that. I have been
wanting to install XAPI on a Debian Dom0 for a while now, but without
random testing, i didn't know how to proceed, so i have not done much
installing.

Originally i was looking at and following the Wiki Kronos page,
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution,
but that is also out of date. As with all things, Project Kronos is
still a work in progress i do understand that, and so far not too many
guides out there to explain how to get it to work. So i was wondering about:

1.) Using the two commands found on the Project Kronos Wiki page,
*apt-get install xcp-xapi* and *apt-get install xcp-xe*, the *xcp-api*
package installs the Xen Hypervisor, Utils libraries, etc as a
dependent, than what is the *xcp-xe* needed for?

xcp-xe provides the xe command line interface to xapi. It's a dependency of xcp-xapi, so you don't need to install it separately.

2.) I currently have installed Debian Wheezy 64bit, compiled kernal
3.3.4 and running the latest Xen 4.2-Unstable, as of compiled a few days
ago at least. SO, if i try to run *apt-get install xcp-xapi*, it will
also download and install the xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 package, QEMU and
many others. IF i let it, it will probably override my currently running
Xen 4.2-Unstable WHICH i am guessing is probably not a good thing. SO i
have not done so unless i know you can install JUST the XAPI Toolstack

You could just delete the xen.gz that's installed by the xen-hypervisor.deb package, and then install your own. It might mess up your package database, but you can probably recover from that by force-reinstalling the xen-hypervisor.deb package to overwrite your custom build.

3.) Has XAPI been converted to 64bit yet? I have read conflicting things
where one places says the XAPI is currently only 32bit, but on one wiki
pages it shows as 32bit or 64 bit. So figured i ask since i am using a
64bit Debian Wheezy and don't believe a 32bit XAPI could run on it.

xapi in XCP and XenServer is 32-bit, but on Debian and Ubuntu it is compiled for both 32- and 64-bit.

4.) So, there is no way to download JUST the XAPI toolstack source,
compile it and install? Looking in the *xapi-autobuilder.git*, it says
the same thing that the XAPI is compiled with all dependencies,
including Xen Hypervisor.

Yes, you can download the xapi source from http://github.com/xen-org/xen-api, check out the debian branch, and build from there. Or you can do apt-get source xen-api, and rebuild it. You might be able to use dpkg to install the binary deb package, without installing dependencies, but I don't know.

5.) Finally, is the latest version of XAPI compatible and can be run on
Xen 4.2-Unstable?

I don't know, but I hope so ;) If you find out, please let us know. The latest trunk build of xapi should work with xen-unstable, but we haven't released that version of xapi yet, either for XenServer, XCP, or Debian/Ubuntu.

Thanks again for the advice...

No problem!

Mike