Re: [Xen-API] Why is the vhd-util binary committed to the CloudStack source repo?

CC'ing xen-api list.

On May 30, 2012 6:31 PM, "Anthony Xu" <Xuefei.Xu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All XenServer releases include vhd-util, in that version it saves local time as timestamp in VHD file, it is probably okay with XenServer.
> But with CloudStack, CloudStack may move VHD file around to XenServer with different time zone, XenServer may think the VHD file is broken because
> the timestamp in the VHD file is behind its local time.
>
> We put the vhd-util source in tools/vhd-tools/, which is originally coming from xen 4.1 source code. We removed the check of timestamp to workaround above issue.
>
> The reason we need vhd-util binary is,
> Vhd-util is supposed to run on XenServer host, which is a 32 bit OS. But most developer machines are 64 bit OS.

This isn't something that needs to be fixed, I suppose, but it might be a good idea to patch vhd-util to either ignore timestamps, as you've done, or to use utc instead. We could then put this version of vhd-util in XenServer, and work on upstreaming it to Xen.

Any thoughts on this from xen-api?

Mike