Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.5 Release Date

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: SpamMePlease PleasePlease <spankthespam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:32:02 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:32:16 +0000

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I've summarized your questions here:
>
>> When is XCP 1.5 release date?
>
> Because we're so close to releasing XCP 1.6, we are considering skipping
> the final release of XCP 1.5. We weren't able to finish "Project
> Swizzle" in time for XCP 1.5, meaning that it takes a significant bit of
> work to rebrand XenServer 6.0 to XCP 1.5. Swizzle has finished in time
> for XCP 1.6, which means that we don't need to perform any extra work to
> produce XCP 1.6.

This is a very important message, because it allows us, early adopters
of XCP make some planning, and I think it should be communicated more
often. For example, I am just about to lease and install few servers
for new project, and since there was no news about 1.5 final release
for quite long time, I assumed the project for 1.5 is kinda
dead/stalled and I was about to do it asap with 1.1 release. However,
now when I know that there is a movement, even with different
direction, I can make adjustments to my plans and save myself
reinstalling everything when 1.6 gets released week after. This is why
announcing current state and schedule is so important, even more
important than reaching the deadlines tightly - I know there might be
a delay, but if I dont know if there's anything going on I cant make
any decision. So, if you'd announce, that you think you can get 1.6
released within (just for the sake of example) 2 weeks, then I for my
plans would assume 4 weeks (100% delay) and then consider wether I can
hold on to such deadline (and the risk even mine wont be reached) or
not. Now I cant, because the status communication is actually non
existent - perhaps this is something that could be improved? What's
other's opinion on that?

Kind regards,
S.